Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear

Elf
Director: John Favreau
Cast: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Zooey Deschanel, Mary Steenburgen, Bob Newhart
Released: 11/7/03
Viewed in theaters: 11/8/03 and 11/28/03

It may be too early to call Elf a Christmas classic since it only came out six years ago, but I have no doubt it will end up as one. It's one of my favorite holiday movies, if not my favorite. I always watch it around this time of year and no matter how many times I've seen it (I think this was my 7th or 8th viewing), there are certain lines and scenes that never fail to make me laugh. If you've never seen this film (GASP!!!!), then you aren't only missing out on one of the funniest holiday movies, you're just missing out on one of the funniest movies.

I can pretty much recite the dialogue verbatim and have used many of the lines in my own life. Who haven't we called a "cotton-headed ninny muggins"? And I can proudly recite the four main food groups of elves: candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.

Ferrell is infectious and has a childlike earnest as Buddy that you can see why he's so likable, but you can also see why people would get impatient with him! I loved the way they created the North Pole; very reminiscent of those classic holiday specials like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman.

I'm not ashamed to tell people that I cry during Elf. The scene at the end where everyone is singing Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town so Santa's sleigh can run on Christmas spirit. That scene gets me every time. EVERY TIME!

The illustrated book about Buddy's journey from the North Pole to New York was really cute and I'm surprised they didn't make that as a real book as a tie-in with the movie. (Or did they?) I would have bought that!

No comments:

Post a Comment