Thursday, February 4, 2010

Grapes of Wrath

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Director: Lasse Hallstrom
Cast: Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis, Mary Steenburgen
Released: 12/ 25/93

Oscar nominations:
Best Supporting Actor - Leonardo DiCaprio (lost to Tommy Lee Jones for The Fugitive)

Of course I had heard of this movie, but I had never seen it until recently. It was kinda cool seeing Depp and DiCaprio in a movie together since they're probably two of the biggest actors in the world right now. When I watched the film, all I could keep thinking was how young they looked!

Depp plays the title character. Gilbert lives with his family in a small town in Iowa. His family consists of his massively obese mother, his older sister, his bratty younger sister, and his mentally-challenged brother (played by DiCaprio). In fact, Leo was so convincing that if I didn't know who he was, I would have thought they got a real mentally-challenged boy to play the part. (I'm not sure if this is a compliment or insult to DiCaprio...) He was probably nineteen or twenty when he made this movie, but looks no older than fifteen! He received his first Oscar nomination and perhaps he would have it if he took five-time Oscar winner Australian actor Kirk Lazaruz's advice about never going "full-on retard". I know I would take all my acting advice from a five-time Oscar winner!

Kidding aside, this film follows Gilbert Grape and how he copes with his dysfunctional family while dealing with his own personal life. He's having an affair with an older, married woman (Steenburgen) but starts a relationship with a free-spirited girl (Lewis) who's passing through town with her grandmother.

It's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of Depp or DiCaprio.

No comments:

Post a Comment