Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Kind of Town

Chicago
Director: Rob Marshall
Cast: Renee Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly
Released: 12/27/02
Viewed in theaters: 1/5/03 and 3/23/03

Oscar nominations:
Best Picture (won)
Best Director - Rob Marshall (lost to Roman Polanski for The Pianist)
Best Actress - Renee Zellweger (lost to Nicole Kidman for The Hours)
Best Supporting Actress - Catherine Zeta-Jones (won)
Best Supporting Actress - Queen Latifah
Best Supporting Actor - John C. Reilly (lost to Chris Cooper for Adaptation)
Best Adapted Screenplay - Bill Condon (lost to Ronald Harwood for The Pianist)
Best Cinematography (lost to Road to Perdition)
Best Art Direction (won)
Best Costume Design (won)
Best Sound (won)
Best Editing (won)
Best Original Song - "I Move On" (lost to "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile)


Out of the many movie musicals I've seen - including Moulin Rouge!, Mamma Mia, Hairspray, West Side Story, and Rent - Chicago is my favorite (because of the way the musical numbers are executed. I know the point of a musical are the songs, and while I liked most of the movies I mentioned (didn't care for Rent), it just always bugs me when the characters would break into song for no reason at all other than being in a musical. I like that in Chicago, apart from the opening and ending numbers, the other songs transition nicely from reality to fantasy, which is very clever, and most importantly, works very well.

All the songs are great and carry along the narrative of the story, but my favorites are All that Jazz, Cell-Block Tango, and We Both Reached For the Gun. Zellweger and Zeta-Jones (or the Zeta fajita as I like to call her!) are great as Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly. I've already mentioned in this blog how I think Nurse Betty is Zellweger's best performance, but I think Chicago is her best Oscar-nominated performance. I think she should have won for the We Both Reached for the Gun song alone; she really did look like a puppet!

This was probably the sixth or seventh time I've seen Chicago and it's still a lot of fun to watch, and since I know the words I can sing along with the characters!

6 comments:

  1. I loved Chicago and Zellweger's performance.

    But I loathe Catherine's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Why didn't you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here read my review of her performance:

    http://moviemania77.blogspot.com/2010/01/performance-review-catherine-zeta-jones.html

    Check out the rest of my blog! I really like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this movie! My favorite of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I don't know if it's my favorite of all time, but it's probably my favorite of '02!

    ReplyDelete