Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Prison Break

The Great Escape
Director: John Sturges
Cast: Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough
Released: July 4, 1963

Oscar nominations:
Best Editing (lost to How the West Was Won)

So when I rented this movie from my local video store, for some reason I was thinking this was a movie where they escape from Alcatraz (I didn't look at the back of the DVD box or else that would have cleared it up for me), but obviously I was thinking of Escape From Alcatraz. I was a little confused when I started watching The Great Escape, but soon realized my mistake and still enjoyed the movie very much, although at a little over two and a half hours, it was a little long. But I loved The Shawshank Redemption, Prison Break (the first season, anyway), and Watership Down, so I'm down with anything that has people (or rabbits!) escaping from prison. Good people (or rabbits!), of course.

The movie takes place during World War II in Germany at a POW camp where allied prisoners come up with a plan to escape. All together, there's about 250 who are planning to escape and they dig three tunnels. One of them is discovered by the guards, but they can still use the others for means of escape.

What's amazing is that this is based on a  true story. Alas, that means there's not really a happy ending even though quite a few prisoners did manage to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment