Monday, August 13, 2012

Big footsteps to follow in...

The Dark Knight Rises
Director: Christopher Nolan
Cast: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Joseph-Gordon Levitt, Marion Cotillard
Released: July 20, 2012
Viewed in theaters: July 30, 2012



Ugh. I did not like this movie. Going in, I knew that the third and final installment of Nolan's Batman trilogy would not be as epic or as good The Dark Knight. I still thought I would enjoy it, but instead I found it as boring and drawn-out as Nolan's last movie, Inception. And it didn't help that he uses a few of his actors from that movie like Gordon-Levitt and Cotillard. (Oh, and Hardy, but his face is covered up by a mask so it's hard to tell who he is...and I'm not that familiar with him anyway.) Really, I'm surprised he didn't get Ellen Page to be Selina Kyle. She must have been busy! Oh, and speaking of Catwoman....I thought Hathway did a good job and any scene with her made the movie more interesting (I did enjoy that scene where she frames that guy and the police come in and she's pretending to be all helpless), but there really aren't that many scenes with her and I feel like you really didn't need her. I feel like if you took her away from the movie, you would lose nothing. Yes, she does help move a part of the plot along, but didn't really need her. And Michelle Pfeiffer will always be my favorite Catwoman. They never actually refer to Selina as Catwoman in TDKR and her goggles flip up on her head to look like cat ears and for all we know, she could have a dog as a pet! I really didn't like her line about wanting to use guns on the bad guys that she and Batmat beat up. Not just because it made me cringe because of what happened in Aurora, but because it didn't make any sense for her to say it. Now I'm no Batman aficionado, but doesn't Catwoman use her body (and whip?) to fight? She's a physical fighter and I've never seen her use a weapon, save for a whip. It just felt totally out of place.

During the movie, I kept thinking the film had a different feel from The Dark Knight, then realized it was filmed in NYC (and Pittsburgh and L.A. I found out later) instead of Chicago. I was so used to seeing Chicago as the backdrop of Gotham and I thought they did a great job of not making obvious it was Chicago. With this movie, I could always tells that it was New York because it's such a recognizable city.

So since the movie is six hours long, I had to take a bathroom break (and I didn't even get anything to drink!) and I came back in the theater during a love scene between Bruce Wayne and one of the two women who are in this movie. (I don't want to spoil anything!) and the only light coming from the screen is that of a lit candle, so it is pretty much pitch black when I return to the theater and I can't see a darn thing! I really have bad timing!

There were two little twists involving characters at the end, and one of them I saw coming. I didn't know the exact details, but I got the feeling that a certain character wasn't exactly who they said they were and I was right. Another twist, I did not see it coming at all, but when the revealed it, I was like, Of course. It does make sense. It just never crossed my mind. If Nolan plans on making a spin-off with this twist, I will not be seeing it. I could care less about that character.

If I had to rank Christopher Nolan's movies, this is how I would rank them:
1. Memento
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Prestige
4. Batman Begins
5. The Dark Knight Rises
6. Inception

It's been awhile since I've seen Insomnia, but I imagine it would be somewhere after The Prestige and before TDKR. 


1 comment:

  1. Great review. I'm a movie guy too, looking for people who share my interest. I'm looking forward to see the movie regardless of bad reviews since it's still a "Nolan Film" haha. Anyways, I haven't made a review yet but check me out when you can! I'm following you :D
    Best regards,
    -Stas ( http://herostasman.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete