Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oscar Predictions

The Oscar nominations will be read on February 2nd (and I cannot wait any longer! Oscar nomination day is like Christmas for me...well depending on who gets nominated, haha), so I thought I would post my own predictions on who I think will be nominated in the six major categories:

Best Actor:
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker
Morgan Freeman, Invictus

I would say that Clooney, Bridges, and Firth are definite locks since they were all nominated for the three major precursor awards. Renner may have not been nominated for a Globe and Morgan may not have been nominated for a BAFTA, but unless there's some huge surprise, I'm pretty confident that this will be the list.

Best Actress:
Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Helen Mirren, The Last Station

Duh, of course Meryl and Sandy will be nominated. I'm pretty sure Carey and Gabby will be as well. Not as confident with Mirren; it could be Emily Blunt in her place, but now I'm going with this list.

Best Supporting Actor:
Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Alfred Molina, An Education
Matt Damon, Invictus

This one was more difficult because all the nominations in this category for SAG, Globes, and BAFTAs have been varying (except for Waltz and Tucci, who are locks, especially Waltz who will probably win anyway). I think Harrelson has a decent shot, but the other two slots are up in the air and I'm just completely guessing.

Best Supporting Actress:
Monique, Precious
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Samantha Morton, The Messenger

Monique and the UitA women are definite locks. Moore is iffy, but I think she'll do it; she's Julianne Moore for Christ's sake! And not sure about the last spot, but I gave it to Morton. Remember back in '04 when she came out of nowhere when she was nominated for In America and everyone thought it was going to go to Nicole Kidman for Cold Mountain? (Well, I did anyway). So that's why I chose her!

Best Director:
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
James Cameron, Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds
Clint Eastwood, Invictus

Lee Daniels for Precious could get in instead of Eastwood, but the Academy loves Eastwood (well, even though they snubbed him last year), so I'm going with this list.

Best Picture:
Can I just say how much I hate that there are TEN movies nominated for best movie this year? I mean, is that really necessary? They're only doing this because people (LIKE ME!!) whined and bitched about The Dark Knight and Wall-E being snubbed last year, and yes, TDK should have been nominated (at the very least Nolan should have gotten a directing nod), I mean, who saw the friggin' Reader anyway? And don't get me started on Frost/Nixon! As for Wall-E, well it was nominated and won for Best Animated Picture, so I don't know why people are still bitching about it? So now we have to deal with this crap!

Well, here are my predictions:
Up in the Air
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Precious
Inglorious Basterds
Invictus
Up
Nine
The Hangover
An Eduction

If there had only been five slots open, Nine wouldn't have made it because everyone hated it and it got completely shut out at the Globes, but since there's plenty of room and you know Harvey is campaigning like crazy, it will probably make it. I'm taking a risk and saying The Hangover since it won the Golden Globe. That's not always the case when a movie wins the GG for comedy/musical, though. When Walk the Line won the GG in '06, it wasn't nominated for an Oscar Best Pic, but, like I said, since there's more space available, I'll take a gamble and say it will get nominated. But won't win. But that would be kind of sweet if it did!

No comments:

Post a Comment