Director: Paul Weitz
Cast: Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Seann William Scott, Chris Klein, Mena Suvari, Tara Reid
Released: July 9, 1999
Viewed in theaters: July 31, 1999
If you like immature and raunchy movies, this one is for you! As far as my rankings for the teen movies I've reviewed thus far, I would only put it ahead of She's All That and Drive Me Crazy (both of which I didn't care for), but below everything else. There are some genuinely funny moments, but the gross-out scenes outrank the funny.
The movie's premise is pretty simple: four senior guys make a pact to "get laid by graduation". Kevin is the only one of the four who has a girlfriend, so the other three have to make their move. Finch goes around spreading rumors about himself that gets girls interested in him, Oz joins the school choir because he learned from a college girl he dated that he should look and appear sensitive at all times, and Jim, the main character, goes after Nadia, the foreign exchange student who is way out of his league, so instead he has to settle for going to prom with Michelle, the band geek.
As you can guess there's plenty of embarrassing scenes Jim finds himself involved in and his dad walks in on every single one! You think he would learn to lock his door! Or not assault a pie in the kitchen in the middle of the day! At least find some privacy in a bathroom or your bedroom!
Is there a party scene? Yes
Is there a prom scene? Yes, and they hired the most tacky band ever!
Is there a football scene? No
Is there a make over scene? No
Is there a scene where all the different high school cliques are being shown? No
Was this movie spoofed in Not Another Teen Movie? Yes, the opening scene where he's watching a porn-o and his parents walk in is spoofed and I'm sure there were other scenes spoofed.
Do I own the soundtrack/favorite song - No, and the only song I remember from the film is "One Week" by BareNaked Ladies, a song I do like.
Darkest scene - There are no dark scenes, but I think we can all agree on which the most disturbing is!
Favorite line - "This one time, at band camp -"
Favorite character - the Sherminator! I felt kid of bad for him when the girl humiliated him in front of the whole school!
Favorite scene - The one where Jim's dad is showing Jim those porno mags is pretty funny.
Hey, it's the '90s - Jim's computer and webcam look like prehistoric artifacts!
And to continue my list of why '99 is the best graduating class:
1. Many teen/high school movies came out in 1999.
2. The song that told people to "party like it's 1999."
3. Buffy Summers is an alum from the class of '99.
4. Bella Swan is not a graduate from the class of '99.
5. "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals was released when the class of '99 were seniors.
6. "Graduation Song" by Vitamin C may have been released for the class of 2000, but it was recorded and probably written in 1999, so I like to think that she got inspiration from the class of '99 for that song.
7. At my school, our class was the last who could leave campus for lunch as freshman. The following year freshman were no longer allowed to do this! (Sidenote: this is probably more because we caused too much trouble and not because we're special just because we're the class of '99, but hey, I'm gonna count it!)