Saturday, May 28, 2011

Class of '99

10 Things I Hate About You
Director: Gil Junger
Cast: Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larisa Oleynik, Andrew Keegan, Larry Miller, Allison Janney
Released: March 31, 1999
Viewed in theaters: April 17, 1999


This is my tenth and final teen movie that came out when I was a teen. And I decided to save the best for last. Or, at least, my favorite. Have I seen this movie as many times as the number in the title? Definitely, if not more. Can I recite the lines verbatim? Pretty close, pretty close.

I love this movie so much, I think, because I have such fond memories of it. This is the movie that introduced millions of teenaged girls to Heath Ledger and I can attest that any female who was in high school/college when this movie was released has definitely seen this movie. I mean, who didn't swoon when he serenaded Julia Stiles on the bleachers? I remember when I was in college and this was one of the movies we watched for movie night in our dorm's lobby. There were, like, 25 girls and only 3 guys and of course all the girls had already seen the movie. Hilarious. I remember all the girls were being all fan-girlish when Heath walked into Club Skunk wearing leather pants and of course, when he sang Can't Take My Eyes Off of You. 


Did Dylan ever sing for Brenda?
 I don't think so!




Tommy Solomon and Alex Mack:
Cutest Couple

Here's a quick plot synopsis: Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is the new kid at school and he wants to go out with Bianca  Stratford (Larisa Oleynik - I have no idea how to say her last name; I've always pronounced it "oily neck" but I don't think that's right! )  who isn't  allowed to date because of her father's strict rules, but he  tells her she can date when her older sister Kat (Julia Stiles) does. Only problem is nobody likes Kat because she's a "heinous bitch" who hates everybody at her school. Joey Donner (Andrew Keegan) is the school's part-time model and full-time douche bag who also wants to date Bianca so he can "score" with her.  Cameron and his friend Michael try to recruit somebody who will be brave enough to take Kat out and they enlist the mysterious Patrick Verona (Ledger) who has a questionable reputation. They then get Joey to pay Patrick to take Kat out so he  can go out with Bianca, then tell Patrick that they are doing this for Cameron and not for Joey because he's only a pawn. So while Joey's paying Patrick a hundred bucks a date, Cameron and Michael are gathering intel from Bianca about her sister which they in turn give to Patrick so he can get on her good side and she'll want to go out with him. It makes more sense when you watch the movie, trust me.

I don't think Kat and Patrick would have ever made it as a couple in real life. She was insulted when he didn't kiss her back in the car, but I have to side with him because he didn't want to take advantage of her being so drunk, then after he sang to her and everything was looking good again, they got into a fight about going to prom and he said that she needed therapy. I sided with her because that's just not cool. Then Kat decides to forgive him and they go to prom and that's when the big secret was revealed and she finds out that he was being paid to take her to prom. Of course all is forgiven at the end of the film and they kiss and make up. But they don't discuss the fact that she's going to college in New York while he'll most likely stay in Seattle. Yeah, we can kiss that relationship goodbye...

In case you didn't know, I should mention the film is based on the Shakespeare play, The Taming of the Shrew (which I've never read, but really, why do I need to?) and the title of the film refers to a poem Kat reads at the end of the movie.

Is there a party scene? Affirmative. 

Is there a prom scene? Affirmative. 

Is there a football scene? Negative.

Is there a make over scene? Negative.
Is there a scene where all the different high school cliques are being shown? Affirmative.
Was this movie spoofed in Not Another Teen Movie? Affirmative. The main guy sang "Janie's Got a Gun" because the main girl's name was Janie and everyone freaked out because they thought Janie had a gun. They also spoofed the poem.




Do I own the soundtrack/favorite song - Yes, I like "The Weakness in Me" by Joan Armatrading and "Even Angels Fall" by Jessica Riddle. The best song that's not on the soundtrack is "Just Be Good To Me" by SOS Band. (I also have a rare cover that Mariah Carey performed live in Japan - that was back in the good old days of Napster.)

Darkest scene -  I would say when Bianca punches Joey twice in the face and then knees him in the groin, but that was more hilarious than anything, so I'll say when Kat finds out she was being used as a bet. (Hmm, we've come full circle to She's All That!) 

Favorite line - "There's a difference between like and love: I like my Sketchers, but I love my Prada backpack." - Bianca. I also get a good chuckle everytime the guidance council (played by a pre-West Wing Allison Janney) asks, "Judith, what's another word for engorged?" when she's writing her steamy romance novel.

Favorite character -  Ms. Perky is great. Allison Janney is only in about three scenes, but she's hilarious in all of them and you wish she had more screen time. 

Favorite scene -  Duh, I like the scene where Heath Ledger sings to Julia Stiles! 


Hey, it's the '90s! - Bianca watches The Real World, there are mentions of Dawson's Creek, Marilyn Manson, and the Spice Girls. Also, fliers are used to announce a party. Yes, FLIERS! No Facebook or texting for these freaks who went to high school in 1999! 



And now you've waited for it. The #1 reason why the class of 1999 is the best graduating class of all time. I won't rehash the other nine reasons why it's such an awesome year because you can just go back and read them in my other reviews (and most of them were pretty lame, I will admit). 


So 1999 is the best graduating year of ALL TIME because not only are we the last graduating class of  the nineties, but we are also the last graduating class of the century and millennium. Now before you nitpick and whine that technically 2000 was the last year of the century and millennium, I know that, but to me the clock starts over when you reach 999 and flips to 000, so therefore I count 1999 as the end. Everybody celebrated 2000 as the millennium anyway, except for, like, supernerds.  SO IT TOTALLY COUNTS!!!! Besides, class of 2000, you can brag that you're the first graduating class of the century and millennium. (Sorry, class of 2001). 
                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment