Sunday, December 26, 2010

Oscar season is upon us

True Grit
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen
Cast: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld
Released: 12/22/10
Viewed in theaters: 12/23/10


This movie may have been completely shut out of the Golden Globes (and yet they give a nomination to The Tourist for Best Comedy - huh!?), but I have no doubt it will rack up quite a few nods when the Academy Award nominations are announced. The film is a remake of the 1969 one of the same name starring John Wayne in the role Jeff Bridges takes over in the updated version. I've never seen the original, so I can't compare.

True Grit takes place in the nineteenth-century and is centered around a 14 year old Arkansas girl, Mattie Ross (played by newcomer Hailee Steinfeld in a role that's Oscar-worthy) who is trying to find Tom Chaney, the man who killed her father. She enlists the help of the best marshal in town, the one who will most likely be successful in helping her catch Chaney and that is Rooster Cogburn, played hilariously by Bridges. He's usually drunk half the time and he wears an eyepatch over one eye, so he has horrible aim with his gun. One of the funniest scenes involves Cogburn and Matt Damon's character LaBeouf, who accompanies them on their journey, when they have a shooting contest.

My mom complained there was too much talking between characters, but the script is strong and quite humorous at times and there is still plenty of action. I audibly gasped aloud many times when Mattie falls into a snake pit. Believe me, this is far from a dull movie. I predict a Best Picture nominee. I'm not sure if the Coens will get in directors since there are only five slots open for that category. I strongly think that Bridges and Steinfeld should get in the Best Actor and Actress category, but of course there are still plenty of other performances I have yet to see.

1 comment: